THE HISTORY OF ANNA JONESBORO NATIONIAL BANK
The city of Anna was founded in 1854, primarily as a train station for the new Illinois Central Railroad. In 1900, The Bank of Anna was started as a partnership between Mr. David W. Karraker, Mr. John B. Jackson, Dr. William C. Lence, and Mr. Pleasant T. Chapman. It was housed in a small store room in the middle of town. In 1911 the location was moved to what was once an opera house. At that time the name was changed to Anna National Bank. In the late 1970’s, a second branch was opened just east of town to serve as a convenient drive-through location. The opera house was home to the bank for nearly 80 years, until its current-day location on Main St. in downtown Anna was constructed in the fall of 1990.
The Bank of Jonesboro, the oldest bank in all of Union County, was started in 1893. It was founded by Mr. David C. Karraker, Dr. W.C. Lence, and Mr. Pleasant T. Chapman, with Mr. John B. Jackson coming on as partner in 1896. In 1923 the bank changed its name to The First National Bank of Jonesboro and moved into a new building in downtown Jonesboro two years later. The new location, centered on the town square in the heart of the business district, is still used to this day. In 1999, construction was completed on a second location a few miles west of downtown Anna.
In May of 2007, the Anna National Bank and The First National Bank of Jonesboro merged together to become the Anna-Jonesboro National Bank. It seemed almost natural that two of the most historic businesses in Southern Illinois should come together to serve the banking needs of the Union County Area. AJNB is a locally owned community bank with current assets of over $230,000,000.00 and four locations. Mr. Scott Wilson was appointed president in 2015. He began his banking career with Anna National Bank in 1985 The Board of Directors is composed of business and community leaders from around the area.